US orchestra tribute to Madiba’s centenary
August 10 @ 8:00 am - August 18 @ 5:00 pm
For Nelson Mandela’s centenary year, the acclaimed American Minnesota Orchestra, in partnership with Classical Movements, will embark on a five-city tour of South Africa in August 2018.
Conducted by Minnesota Orchestra Music Director Osmo Vänskä, the tour marks the first-ever visit to South Africa by a professional US orchestra.
A highlight of the tour will be a piece specially commissioned as a tribute to Mandela by Classical Movements. World-acclaimed composer Bongani Ndodana-Breen is writing the tribute, titled Harmonia Ubuntu, which will also feature soprano Goitsemang Oniccah Lehobye.
The piece will be performed at concerts in Minnesota in July, after which Vänskä and the Orchestra will travel to South Africa to perform in Cape Town, Durban, Pretoria and Johannesburg, as well as at the historic Regina Mundi Roman Catholic Church in Soweto.
Ticket prices range from R100 to R600 and bookings for Durban, Johannesburg and Pretoria concerts can be done through Computicket at www.computicket.com/music
For tickets to the Cape Town concert, please email [email protected]
For more information, visit www.minnesotaorchestra.org/satour
- Friday, August 10, 2018, 8 p.m. / City Hall, Cape Town
- Sunday, August 12, 2018, 5 p.m. / City Hall, Durban
- Thursday, August 16, 2018, 7:30 p.m./Aula Theatre, University of Pretoria, Pretoria
- Friday, August 17, 7 p.m. / Regina Mundi Roman Catholic Church, Soweto
- Saturday, August 18, 3 p.m. / City Hall, Johannesburg