It’s no secret that Cape Town has the worst traffic in the country. And to address this, the City has been working on the problem through an ongoing Congestion Management Programme implemented in 2015. So far five new roads have been added to Mother City’s road network.
Six more important road links are currently under construction, with another 16 in the planning phase, to address the severe congestion problems.
In December 2015, a R750-million budget over 5 financial years was committed to by the City to alleviate areas in the city experiencing the worst congestion pressure.
Congestion studies showed that areas like Blaauwberg, Kuils River, and Kommetjie were the worst affected. Missing road network links or roads that should be turned into dual carriageways to relieve congestion were then identified by Transport and Urban Development Authority (TDA) officials.
In May this year, 5 road construction projects were completed, one in the Blaauwberg area, three in Kuils River, and one in Bellville.
The City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Transport and Urban Development, Councillor Brett Herron said, “Residents from these areas would have experienced the difference by now, and are benefitting from our investment by spending less time on the road.”
A total amount of R481-million has been budgeted for the next 3 financial years to further aid in the fight against congestion starting in July 2018.
‘’The money has been allocated to six road projects that are currently under construction: two in Kuils River; two in Kommetjie; one in Somerset West; and one in the Milnerton area; as well as to another 16 projects that are currently in the planning and design phase.’’ said Herron
The following six road construction projects are currently under way:
– Widening of Van Riebeeck Road/Strand Street between the R300 and Peter Barlow Road, as well as the widening of the Van Riebeeck Road/R300 north-bound off-ramp in conjunction with SANRAL
– The dualling of Langverwacht Road between Amandel Road and the Zevenwacht Link Road
– The dualling of Kommetjie Road between Capri Drive and Ou Kaapse Weg
– The dualling of Ou Kaapse Weg between Kommetjie Road and Noordhoek Main Road
– Dualling of Broadway Boulevard from Beach to Main Roads in Somerset West
– Dualling of Bosmansdam Road between Montague Drive and Koeberg Road, in conjunction with private developers