Fire and rescue services responded swiftly to a call for assistance at Garden Shopping Centre on Thursday at 3pm. An apparent gas explosion occurred on the first floor of the shopping centre at Pulp Kitchen injuring five people.

Fire and rescue services spokesperson Theo Layne said, five people sustained injuries during the explosion but the fire was successfully extinguished. Three fire engines, three rescue vehicles and 12 firefighters were on scene to assist.

The centre has since been evacuated and no information is yet available as to what exactly caused the explosion, or the extent of the injuries.

 

Picture: Willem Law

Article written by

Aimee Pace

Aimee is an avid gamer, enthusiastic yogi and animal lover. Addicted to anime, coffee and plant-based meals. Current favourite pastimes include, sewing and learning Japanese.