The Department of Education and police remain tight-lipped around the bomb scare at three prestigious schools in Wynberg this week. The schools in question, Springfield Convent, Wynberg Girls High and Wynberg Boys High fell victim to bombs threats and ransom demands, due to be paid by Wednesday 18 July at 12pm.

The incidents could be hoaxes, similar to others which recently occurred at another school and a mall in the area.

CapeTownEtc received copies of letters sent out to parents warning them of the potential threat.

Wynberg Girls High School principal Shirley Harding said they received a bomb threat with a cash deposit deadline of midday on Wednesday. An email was sent on July 10 to the school.

“A letter went out to inform parents about the bomb threat,” confirmed Harding.

The school decided not to close its doors on Wednesday.

After numerous attempts to reach other principals, South African Police Services (SAPS), and the Department of Education, no one was willing to comment on the occurrences or the ongoing investigation.

Terrorists allegedly demanded that a cash deposit, of an undisclosed amount, be paid by a Wednesday at noon. The threats were not carried out, although it is unclear how the schools and SAPS handled the situation.

Springfield Convent stayed closed as a result, but reopened on Thursday. Wynberg Boys Junior, and Wynberg Girls and Boys High School remained open throughout.

In a letter distributed to parents on Tuesday, principal of Wynberg Boys Junior Cedric Poleman said that SAPS and Hawks were investigating the threat. Speaking to IOL, Coleman stipulated that dedicated security guards would be stationed at all entrances. The school and its buildings were open from 7am on Wednesday.

On 14 July, Kenilworth Centre, one of Cape Town’s busiest shopping malls, was evacuated shortly after lunchtime following a bomb threat. Dozens of staff members from the mall’s stores milled about after the evacuation as they had left their personal belongings at their places of work.

Speaking to SAPeople, a Capetonian mother said that the school her daughter attended received a similar threat on 7 June. The school received a notification that five children had been kidnapped, and would be killed, if a ransom was not paid. This threat proved to be unfounded after the school conducted a head count and found that all its students were present.

It remains unclear if any of these incidents are linked.

 

Picture: Pixabay

Article written by

capeetc

We love this place! Cape Town Etc features news, reviews, entertainment and lifestyle in the Mother City.