We, the people of Cape Town, don’t have to travel far to taste authentic flavours from around the world. From Morocco to Ethiopia, France, Germany and beyond, we’ve got it all on the Mother City’s menu. Right now, we’re heading to Japan for some soul-warming ramen.
Ramen is a Japanese noodle dish. Traditionally, it consists of Chinese-style wheat noodles served in a meat-based broth, often flavoured with soy sauce or miso, and uses toppings such as sliced pork, nori, menma, and spring onion. Let’s not miss the iconic 6-minute egg.
It’s essentially a flipping delicious soup, packed with nutrient-dense foods – a plus! There are a handful of eateries serving up real deal ramen in Cape Town. Here are five of them to try:
1. Downtown Ramen
- Location: 103 Harrington St, Zonnebloem, Cape Town
- Dish to try: Spicy Miso Ramen (braised beef short rib; szechuan pepper; chilli; spring onion; nori; egg and daily handmade noodles).
2. Bodega Ramen
- Location: 64A Wale St, CBD, Cape Town
- Website: www.dineplan.com/restaurants/bodega-ramen
- Dish to try: Miso Pork Ramen (handmade noodles; pork belly chashu; pickles; ajitama egg egg).
3. Three Wise Monkeys
- Location: La Rhone Building, 77 Regent Rd, Sea Point
- Website: threewisemonkeys.co.za
- Dish to try: Duck Ramen (chicken base broth; secret shoyu (soy sauce) seasoning; ramen noodles; pan seared duck breast; pickled mushroom, den miso corn; 5-minute , marinated egg; spinach; leeks; nori).
4. Lucky Bao Hout Bay
- Location: Main Rd, Scott Estate, Cape Town
- Website: www.facebook.com/LuckyBaoBar/
- Dish to try: Miso Lucky Ramen (miso tom yum dashi; roasted aubergine; fried tofu; mushrooms; wakame).
5. Obi Restaurant
- Location: Shop 2, 14 Long St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town
- Website: obirestaurant.co.za
- Dish to try: Ramen of the day (noodles; broth of the day; pork belly chashu; 6-minute egg; spring onion; nuri).
Picture: Bodega Cape Town