Simon’s Town is a picturesque gateway to coastal paradise with a treasured maritime heritage. Whether you’re an adventurer or tranquillity-seeker, this scenic wonderland has it all – a place to play, eat, shop and discover.
Here are five ways to have a magical day in Simon’s Town:
Visit the African Penguin colony
Boulder’s Beach is a must for those who adore the sight of quirky flightless birds in their black and white tuxedos. This popular attraction can get quite busy as many beachgoers flock to secure their spot, so make sure to monitor the SANParks Facebook page for updates. Foxy Beach, with its fine white sand and glistening waters, is another gem worth exploring where you’ll be able to spot wandering penguins.
- Boulder’s Beach (Kleintuin Rd, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
- Foxy Beach (Kleintuin Rd, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
Enjoy a feast with a serving of scenic views
Bertha’s Restaurant is a well-known stopping point situated on the quay in Simon’s Town, with prime views of the Naval base, yacht club and False Bay. Fresh Seafood, Catch of the Day, Oysters, Prawns and the renowned Bertha’s Seafood Platters are some of the signature dishes.
The Lighthouse Café has a beautiful ambience with its exquisite French charm, inviting you into a scenic foodie paradise. From a wide variety of seafood to pastas and salads, you’re hunger pangs will be satisfied in no time.
Seaforth Restaurant boasts spectacular views of mountains and sea, and is located on the water’s edge to provide a scenic experience you’ll always remember. The Seaforth Seafood Platter is perfect for those ravenous explorers or settle down with a Pork Belly for the meat-eaters.
- Bertha’s Restaurant (1 Wharf Road, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
- The Lighthouse Cafe (90 St George’s St, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
- Seaforth Restaurant (Beach, Seaforth Rd, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
Explore the rich cultural and historic heritage
Simon’s Town boasts a wealth of historic interest and has been a naval base and harbour for more than two centuries. The Simon’s Town Museum and SA Naval Museum will satisfy your craving for a slice of history in no time, or dive into the splendour of the Warrior Toy Museum and feast your eyes on a display of model cars, dolls, dinky toys and more!
- Simon’s Town Museum (Court Rd, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
- SA Naval Museum (St George’s St, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
- Warrior Toy Museum (1067 King George Way, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
Indulge in the ocean activities
If you’re searching for a more interactive ocean experience, you’re in luck. Cape Town Water Bikes offers a 1-hour ocean joyride, which allows you to glide across the water while spotting some incredible marine life or learn to Stand Up Paddle in the calm waters of Simon’s Town Quays with a Surfshack SUP adventure.
- Cape Town Water Bike Ocean Adventures (Simon’s Town Jetty, 1 Wharf St, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
- Surfshack Paddle Board Centre Simon’s Town (Wharf Street Simon’s Town Boardwalk Centre Shop no: WC8, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)
A market place shopping adventure awaits
Take a stroll along the cobbled alleyways of this charming village and browse an array of antiques, curios, clothing and much more. A visit to the Jubilee Square will have you in awe of the African curios and crafts for a market place experience that you’ll be sure to remember. The statue of Just Nuisance is the iconic feature of the square, which honours the life and story of the legendary Great Dane.
- Jubilee Square & Jetty (St George’s St, Simon’s Town, Cape Town)