Nominees for the presigious 55th Fleur du Cap Theatre Awards have been announced. The winners will announced on March 22 at the performing arts calendar highlight which will be hosted at The Baxter Theatre.
The annual Fleur du Cap Theatre Awards, which was established in 1995, is South Africa’s leading performing arts competition. It focuses on professional theatre productions staged in Cape Town and environs. Sponsored by Distell, the awards have served as a launching pad for many of the country’s most prominent names in theatre.
“Distell is a proud supporter of the arts. It has sponsored the Fleur du Cap Theatre Awards for more than five decades,” says Bridgitte Backman, Distell’s Director of Corporate and Regulatory Affairs.
According to the newly appointed judging panel chairperson, Africa Melane, the competition was tight this year. “Each year we’re faced with a very difficult task of having to select from an exceptional, high-quality line-up. Once again, the nominees have set the bar high,” he said.
The awards will be presented in 24 categories. These are:
– Best new South African script; and, Best new director
– Best theatre production for children and young people
– Best performance by an ensemble;in a revue, cabaret or one-person show; by a supporting actor in a musical or music theatre show; by a supporting actress in a musical or music theatre show; by a lead actor in a musical or music theatre show; and, by a lead actress in a musical or music theatre show
– Best puppetry design; Best lighting design; Best set design; Best costume design; and, Best sound design, original music, soundscape or live performance
– Best performance in an opera – male; and, female
– Best performance by a supporting actor in a play; supporting actress in a play;lead actress in a play; lead actor in a play
– Best director
– Best production
– Award for innovation in theatre
– Lifetime achievement award
– Award for most promising student
59 productions in total are in the running for top honours this year. Included in these are ( W)asem, #HETWO, 3 Susters, 4 Love,An Extraordinarily Ordinary Life, Anthology: Clean Break, Still, Tales from the Garden, The Epicene Butcher and Other Stories for Consenting Adults, and The Rocky Horror Show.
“This year marks the start of a new decade and judging from the standard of nominees, an exciting one for the performing arts in South Africa. Congratulations!”, says Backman.
In tracking upcoming talent, the panel watched over 35 student performances during the year. It reported the standard at the tertiary institutions has shown tremendous growth and that the trajectory of some students directly to the professional stage is testament to that.
Breaking from tradition, the awards will not be open to the public this year. Instead, those interested are encourgaed to follow the livestream of the ceremony via the Fleur du Cap YouTube channel.
For a full list of the nominees, click here.
Picture: Facebook / Fleur du Cap Theatre Awards