Cape Town blossoms with creativity – it’s one of the aspects that make our city quite as unique as it is. Wonder along Woodstock, and you’ll be treated to dime a dozen murals and street art cherished by locals. Venture into the CBD and you’ll always hear the creative musings of music, whether you have to pay for the shows or not. Even our foodie scene is well versed in the language of cuisine art. It’s easy to feel inspired to dip your own fingers into the creativity pot or merely ponder in wonder, and thanks to our lucky stars, we can often do all of the above whilst still getting a meal or coffee.
The two Clay Cafes
Cape Town’s favourite way to get creative, Clay Cafe boasts two shops: Hout Bay and Bree Street, which it expanded to in 2020.
A craft-focused space, Clay Cafe combines the art of treats like tapas with ceramic painting experiences. Whether ceramic creating is right up your alley, or if you and your crew are up to learning something new and letting your inner artist bloom, it’s the perfect spot to venture to.
Bonus: If you’re worried about making a mess of things, that’s kind of the point. However, you” be guided by a team of those in the know, so your creation can come to life, drenched in expertise.
- Where: 199 Bree Street, Gardens, Cape Town (city venue) | 4080 Main Road. Opposite Bokkemanskloof Estate (Hout Bay venue)
- City: Monday-Tuesday from 10am-5pm | Wednesday-Friday from 10am-10pm and Saturday from 9am-10pm | Sunday from 9am-6pm
- Hout Bay: 9am-5pm
- Websites: Clay Cafe in the City | Claycafe.co.za (Hout Bay)
A family-owned business that offers the meeting point for delicious food, paint and nightlife festivities, The Pottery is an absolute delight of a location at Camps Bay.
It’s all about the paint at The Pottery, where you can pick your Wonki Ware handmade pottery products and start painting with the colours of the wind. Pick a plate, mug, bowl or trinket dish and customise the piece to your choosing. And, if you’re looking to add some extra fun to your experience, join The Pottery for Happy Hour from 5-6pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Where: 41 The Dr, Camps Bay
- When:Monday to Thursday from 07:30 – 17:00 | Friday & Saturday: 07:30 – 19:00 | Sundays & Public Holidays from 07:30 – 17:00
- Website: campsbay.thepottery.co.za
Created with the Helderberg community in mind, Pottery House is designed for everyone of all ages to get creative, grab a bite and enjoy the essence of cosy overlooking Gordon’s Bay’s views.
From its Bisque Selection, you’ll choose your underglaze paint colours and get busy creating. When it comes to creating a happy space for your stomach, Pottery House spoils you for choice, from tapas selections to pizza and burger dreams. Coffee or wine? The choice to make it a breakfast, lunch or dinner date is entirely yours!
- Where: 6 Sir Lowry’s Pass Road | Gordon’s Bay
- When: Monday to Thursday from 9am to 6pm
- Website: potteryhouse.co.za
The best thing about the Crafters’ Cafe in Claremont, is that it isn’t limited to any one kind of creativity. Daily artistic adventures include melt and pour soap making, clay painting and there are always unique workshops and events to look forward to. Some of the events that have just kicked off include candle making, acrylic painting and embellished swipe.
Crepe Sundays are also on the cards at the Crafters’ Cafe, so if you like art and crepes, you know where your GPS is taking you.
Bonus: Their kitchen is halaal friendly, and prides itself on preparing food that’s as close to the source as possible.
- Where: 53 2nd avenue, Claremont
- When:Tuesday – Saturday 8:30am-5:30pm | Sundays: 9am-3pm
- Website: Thecrafterscafe.co.za