Do you want a taste of Mexican in Cape Town? There’s something truly irresistible about Mexican cuisine.
It’s all about the sour cream, guacamole, chipotle goodness that is hard to beat. Throw in chilli poppers, nachos, salsa and some tacos with a shot of tequila and it sounds like the perfect fiesta party in the Mother City, right?
Here are 8 Mexican restaurants to feast on tacos in Cape Town on World Taco Day:
1. Una Más – Mezcaleria:
This is Sea Point’s new Mexican hottie with a modern take on Mexican cuisine. Enjoy a selection of their soft shell tacos with a variety of fillings including, beef short rib with green mole, cilantro and pickles, and the ‘calamares’ of charred calamari with chilli, pineapple and crispy onion.
- Location: Shop 2, 77 Regent Street, Sea Point, Cape Town
- Reservation: dineplan.com
- Website: www.unamas.co.za
2. Hacienda Coastal Mexican:
If you’re in the mood for a different spin on tacos then this eatery brings a new trendy choice of coastal Mexican cuisine with brisket, lobster, line-fish, chicken and frijol beans, each with interesting flavour combinations. They truly bring the spirit of Baja California to the tables of Cape Town.
- Location: 92 Bree Street, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town
- Website: www.hacienda.co.za
3. El Burro:
You’ll be welcomed by a super trendy setting and epic Mexican cuisine. Think modern Mexican, delivering on the classics and winning with some new flavours too.
- Locations: 79 Main Road, Greenpoint / 1 New Church Street & Kloof Nek Road, Tamboerskloof
- Website: www.elburro.co.za
4. Zapata Mexican Restaurant:
Looking for generous portions of Mexican Cuisine? Well, look no further and get ready to feast on Zapata’s irresistible tacos. This seriously underrated eatery serves up truly authentic Mexican food on the buzzing corner of 2nd avenue in Claremont.
- Location: 65-67 2nd Avenue, Claremont, Cape Town
- Website: www.facebook/zapatamexican
5. Tacos Locos:
Tacos Locos serves up flavours that are seriously insane, offering all the beloved classics, plus some unique renditions, like Italian meatball tacos.
- Locations: 364 Victoria Road, Salt River / 1 Lester Road, Wynberg / 5 Barrow street, Monte Vista
- Website: www.tacoslocos.co.za
6. Didi’s Mexican:
Serving up the most delicious and wholesome Mexican-inspired cuisine with their own South African twist. Whether it’s takeaways or dining-in. Best of all is the iconic travelling food truck – without a doubt, street food at its finest! And of course, Didi’s Tacos always go down a treat!
- Location: 1 Dorman Street, Gardens / 83 Durban Rd, Mowbray / Ashley Cooper House Shop 5, Newlands
- Website: www.didismexican.co.za
7. The Fat Cactus:
If you’re looking for a Mexican jol in Cape Town then you’ll surely get it here paired with the tastiest tacos while the cocktails keep coming.
- Locations: 5 Park Road, Gardens /47 Durban Road, Mowbray / 160 Albert Road, Woodstock
- Website: www.fatcatus.co.za
8. Beach House Cantina:
You’re spoilt with variety when it comes to its tacos (soft shell), with the option of battered fish, braised brisket, chipotle chicken and spiced jalapeno prawns.
- Location: Shop 3, The Promenade Shopping Centre, 85 Victoria Road, Camps Bay
- Reservation: 071 331 7818
- Website: www.beachhosecampsbay.com
Hungry for more Mexican cuisine in Cape Town?
- Living la Vida Loca: Mexican restaurants to tuck into
- Delicious at home – Mexican takeaway menus for you to choose
Picture: Zapata Mexican Restaurant/ Facebook