The recent allegation of racism at Hank’s Olde Irish Pub has sparked big reactions from South Africans on social media, with the majority of commentators applauding Christopher Logan, a patron who confronted the pub’s owner after his friend was denied entrance based on the colour of his skin.
Also read: Watch: Video of racist incident at Cape Town pub goes viral
The videos, which have gone viral in South Africa, have also evoked a strong response from the political party Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF).
Watch “Part 2” of the altercation:
Warning: this video contains disturbing subject matter and language. Not for sensitive viewers.
In a press statement released today, EFF is calling the altercation in Bree Street “not an isolated incident”.
“The racism reveals the psychosis of many white of many white racists who are still locked in the paradigm of white exclusivity and the old days of apartheid nostalgia.”
The party has emphasised that racism is rife in the Western Cape and needs to be dealt with.
EFF members visited the pub to protest yesterday, 4 December and found the premises locked, however, they would like the bar shut down completely.
The party will move to press formal charges against the establishment’s owners through the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC).
Social media is also trending with #RacismMustFall.
See comments below:
- “Well done to this man for doing what many in his shoes would never have done. You did the right thing by defending your friend and standing up for him and yourself. Such a great example of what we really need to be doing as the youth to correct the past hurts and suffering of our people. Racism will not be able to live on if we ALL unite and fight it. So thank you.”
- “Apartheid never ended they all just moved to Stellenbosch.”
- “Relax, they are dealing with racism nicely. This sht will never go unchallenged. We are glad some white people are now leading the way. That white young man told him to apologize and treat people decently.”
- “There’s a call on Twitter for a protest outside. Hanks on Tuesday at 5pm. Join if you can and let’s #ShutRacistsDown.”
- This would be me too, while sipping on a cocktail pumping him up even more. Saying things like “and my mother was a garden boy and my father was a kitchen girl”.
Another shooting in Manenberg: Residents fearful of gang related attacks
Video: Protest_aspraxis / Instagram