If you weren’t wondering what the most sought-after cocktails in the world are, it’s probably come to mind right now.
Even though Uncle Cyril has placed alcohol restrictions on our country, when the restrictions ease slightly, you definitely have to make your way downtown, walk fast and get yourself the most sought-after cocktail in SA- the ‘P*ornstar Martinin’.
According to Pour Moi, a swimwear company who recently released a 2021 cocktail report that maps the world’s most sought after cocktails, the ‘P*ornstar Martinin’ is the cream of the crop for cocktail seekers.
Analysing over 100 million cocktail-related Google searches made around the world in the last 12 months, the cocktail report by Pour Moi reveals which cocktails are most sought after in each country.
The P*ornstar Martini tops the charts in South Africa and the cheekily named cocktail is also the most searched for cocktail across the whole world at the moment with over 18 million global searches made. It seems the inhabitants of planet Earth can’t get enough of the cheeky tipple, which is made from passionfruit liquor, passionfruit juice and vanilla vodka, with a chaser shot of prosecco on the side. It’s super popular in the continent of Africa, and is also the most researched cocktail of the UK, India, the Netherlands and Singapore.
How did the other cocktail champions fare?
Pina Coladas are the second most popular cocktail for the world Google, perfect for a summer party when we celebrate lockdown’s hopeful ease. They’re a particular favourite with the USA, Russia, Spain and Indonesia. The classic cocktail originated from Puerto Rico, and is made by blending coconut milk, pineapple juice and rum with, or poured over, ice.
The distinctive orange cocktail of Aperol Spritz has taken the world by storm in recent years, and is made by combining Aperol, prosecco and a dash of soda water. The refreshing beverage is officially the third most searched for cocktail in the world, and comes out top specifically in Canada, Finland, Germany, Norway and Sweden.
Sangria is the world’s fourth most popular tipple, with people creating their own takes on the Spanish classic. Made with either red, white or rose wine and mixed with something soft such as lemonade or fruit juice, Sangria can be elevated with a cheeky touch of something stronger (like vermouth or brandy) and must have plenty of chopped fruit as a garnish. It’s a simple yet effective sweet-tasting cocktail, and most sought after in Italy, Thailand, Switzerland and Argentina – as well as Spain, naturally.
The sophisticated Negroni cocktail was invented in Florence, Italy in 1919 and is a breath-taking combination of Campari, vermouth and gin. Typically garnished with orange peel, the now classic cocktail started to become famous in the 1940s with bars in Europe and the USA putting it on their menus around this time. In 2021 the Negroni is most popular in China and Paraguay and Uruguay, but also in some specific USA states including Oregon, Washington and California.
- P*rnstar Martini (over 18.4 million global searches) | Countries who search for Pornstar Martinis the most include India and Israel, followed by the UK, Philippines, South Africa and Pakistan.
- Pina Colada (over 10.5 million global searches) | Countries who search for Pina Coladas the most include USA and Mexico, Egypt, Spain and Chile.
- Aperol Spritz (over 8.2 million global searches) | Countries who search for Aperol Spritz the most include Greece, Canada, Qatar, Finland, Sweden and Norway.
- Sangria (over 7.6 million global searches) | Countries who search for Sangria the most include Italy, Thailand, Switzerland, Argentina, Colombia and Peru.
- Negroni (over 6.9 million global searches) | Countries who search for Negronis the most include Paraguay, Uruguay and China.
- Espresso Martini (over 5.5 million global searches) | Countries who search for Espresso Martinis the most include Australia, New Zealand and Iceland.
- Long Island Iced Tea (over 4.4 million global searches) Although it never topped a country list, Long Island Iced Teas were still Googled a lot in the USA and UK, followed by Australia, Canada, Japan and the Netherlands.
- Caipirinha (over 4.3 million global searches) | Countries who search for Caipirinhas the most include Portugal, Brazil and Morocco.
- Daiquiri (over 3.8 million global searches) | Countries who search for Daiquiris the most include the Bahamas, Cuba and Oman.
- Mojito (over 2.8 million global searches) | Countries who search for Mojitos the most include France, Japan and the Central African Republic.
When looking at the continent of Africa, the P*rnstar Martini is super popular in the majority of countries, not just South Africa!
Okay, where can I grab one? Particularly in the Mother City?
Legend has it that Asoka, the little bar on Kloof Street will indulge your curiosity toward the drink, as it’s the hotspot for the world famous cocktail right here in Cape Town!