Much like decor, fashion, and technology – bread trends. Over the years, we’ve seen white bread shunned, wholewheat heroed, witnessed a gluten-free takeover and bounced back to the almighty sourdough.
Cape Town has become sourdough city, and we’re not complaining. It’s a versatile and seriously tasty bake. It also reaps some lekker health benefits: like natural fermentation which is good for your gut. Best of all, it has Mother City shoppers supporting local bakeries.
Here are a few places to get a great sourdough loaf:
1. Woodstock Bakery
- Location: 15 Brickfield Rd, Woodstock / Oranjezicht Market and Root44 market in Stellenbosch (weekends)
2. South Yeaster Bakery
- Location: 5 The Promenade, Hout Bay
3. The Hog House Bakery
- Location: 42 Morningside St, Ndabeni / Oranjezicht Market (weekends)
4. Jason Bakery
- Location: 83 Main Rd, Green Point, Cape Town
5. Pajamas & Jam Eatery
- Location: 32 Van Zyl St, Strand
6. Bentleys Bread Co.
- Location: 162 Main Rd, Sea Point, Cape Town
7. B A A R D & Co.
- Location: Pampoenkraal Ln, Durbanville, Cape Town
8. Olympia Café
- Location: 134 Main Rd, Kalk Bay, Cape Town
9. SCHOON Bakery
- Locations: Stellenbosch / Somerset West / Gardens / Sea Point / Paarl / Van Riebeeckshof
10. Loaves by Madame Baker
- Location: Unit B3, The Salt Orchard, 12 Briar Rd, Salt River
11. Coimbra Bakery
- Location: 152 Imam Haron Rd, Claremont, Cape Town
Picture: @southyeaster / Instagram