The alcohol ban has finally been lifted and for the first time this year Wellington Wine Route can open their tasting rooms and share their wines with you. Cheers to that!
There is no wrong turn when visiting the picturesque town of Wellington. The town is a well-established wine region less than an hour’s drive from Cape Town and has a quiet, undiscovered charm about it. A unique fact about Wellington is that it is literally the “cradle of the contemporary South African wine industry”, supplying up to 85% of the country’s vine cuttings, colloquially known as “stokkies”!
For more details about Wellington Wine Route follow Visit Wellington on social media or visit www.wellington.co.za.
Diemersfontein Wine Estate
The family and pet-friendly dining experience, PROE, at Diemersfontein Wine Estate provides visitors with the broadest choice of top-quality charcuterie, goat and cow’s milk cheeses, fresh bread, preserves and more to be enjoyed in a laid-back setting – as a picnic on the shaded lawns or at a table in PROE’s air-conditioned venue.
As can be expected, Diemersfontein’s award-winning wines are very much part of the mix. The wine and brandy pairing features three red wines and Diemersfontein’s 10-year potstill brandy, paired with custom-made toffees, nougat and chocolate truffles.
Experience true Boland hospitality at Imbuko wines with their famous gourmet cocktail pie and wine pairing. Four freshly baked cocktail pies perfectly paired with their Van Zijl wines. Hearty harmony in each bite. Bring the whole family to enjoy their extensive wine list, delicious snacks, breath-taking view, and comfortable kid-friendly atmosphere.
If you are going to have a cheat day, do it properly at Wellington Wines with their Duke and Doughnut pairing. Their standard range of wines, called Duke of Wellington is paired with four uniquely flavoured soft and sweet deep-fried dough balls. Sink your teeth into flavours of chocolate, berries, gingerbread and the lighter coconut-covered doughnut whilst sipping on easy-drinking wines.
stukkieKAAP is an online wine shop experience where you can mix and match and fill your boxes to hearts delight. Most online platforms require a minimum purchase of a full case. At stukkieKAAP they allow you to select the stukkies Kaap you like, even if it is from different cellars. Visit www.stukkieKAAP.co.za and spend R300 (on them). You are welcome to use this on wine, a virtual wine tasting, or an experience.
One lucky reader will win these four wine experiences for two people on the Wellington Wine Route to be redeemed during 2021 worth R1 300 which includes:
– Two Wine & Brandy Pairings at Diemersfontein Wine Estate
– Two Gourmet Pie & Wine Pairings at Imbuko Wines
– Two Duke & Doughnut Pairings at Wellington Wines and six bottles of Duke of Wellington White Pinotage
– A R300 stukkieKAAP gift voucher.
How to enter:
Fill out the form below and answer this easy question: “What is the colloquial term used in Wellington for vine cuttings?”
Competition Ts & Cs:
– The winner will be selected and announced by Cape Town ETC on Friday, February 12
– Winner will be contacted via details entered on the form
– Winners are required to claim their prize within one week or another winner will be drawn
– Winners must pre-book their experiences with the four wine establishments.
– Prize is valid for 2021 and to be used during periods when there are no COVID-19 Lockdown alcoholic bans.
– Prize cannot be exchanged for cash and no change is given.
– Prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other prize, special or promotion.