Back in 2016, Britain’s Natural Environment Research Council introduced a public contest to name a new ship. That plan backfired with voters overwhelmingly supporting a name that a British radio presenter submitted, Boaty McBoatface. Since then we have had Ferry McFerryface, Trainy McTrainface and no one has gone so far to ask the public to name a boat since. Until now…it’s South African’s turn and we are putting it in your very capable hands.
Richard Kohler will be paddling an 8m custom designed kayak from Cape Town to Salvador in Brazil at the end of January 2021 in aid of Operation Smile. Kohler is inviting the public to help choose a name for the kayak. Here’s the catch though, he will select the top three names which the public will then vote on, so we won’t be naming his vessel Kayak McKayakface
The three names will be posted on Cape Town Etc’s website and social media channels for everyone to vote. The person who submitted the winning name will win an exclusive experience with Kohler, including an invite to the launch and the naming of the kayak, as well as an invite to the departure at the end of January – and a paddle on the boat with Richard in Cape Town on the boat before he leaves.
– An exclusive experience with Kohler, and a paddle on the kayak
-A personal invitation to the naming of the kayak and the launch
– A front row seat to see Kohler depart on his journey in January.
How to enter: Fill out the form below.
Competition Ts & Cs:
– The winner will be announced on January 4, 2021
– Winner will be contacted via details entered on the form
– Winners are required to claim their prize within one week or another winner will be drawn
– The prize cannot be exchanged for money
– Transport to and from event is not included
– The paddle is weather dependent, and the time could possibly be changed.
*The entry form is space sensitive, please make sure there is no space after your email address*
*Once you have correctly filled in your details and submitted, the entry form will disappear. This means your entry has been received.*