Pedicures are not only beneficial for us humans; your pooch’s paws also need regular care to keep them in tip-top shape. The condition of your dog’s paws and pads play a vital role in their overall wellbeing. Paw pads provide important cushioning to help protect their bones and joints from shock and provides insulation from extreme weather. In addition, they aid in walking on rough ground and helps protect tissue deep within the paw.
During the winter months, colder temperatures or drier climates can cause cracking and chapping of your pooch’s paws, pads, and toes – even more reason why you need to give those paws some pampering.
It is important to keep your pet’s paws and pads nourished and moisturised, as dry and cracked pads are not only painful to walk on, but also allow for foreign objects to become lodged between the cracks which can lead to potential infections.
Follow these tips to keep their paws in top shape:
- Clip-clip – Most dogs need regular nail cutting. Your pet’s nails should be trimmed when they grow long enough to touch the ground while walking. How often you trim your dog’s nails will depends on your dog, and some breed’s nails may not need to be trimmed much at all.
- Spot checks – You should carry out regular checks on your pet’s paws, looking between the toes and on the pads for any foreign debris or injuries. Gently remove any debris with a warm damp cloth to clean the area. Applying a product containing Buchu when you spot an injury or infection, has shown to be very effective. This indigenous herb boasts natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, making it ideal for first aid on minor wounds.
- Fight inflammation – Inflamed or infected paws can make walking difficult and painful for your pooch, so it’s important to intervene before these develop.When infection develops, dogs often continually lick the affected area which can lead to further skin irritation. Use a safe and preferably natural product which alleviates symptoms and assists with healing. Products containing Buchu work wonders due to the natural anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties of this herb.
- Massage away – to promote circulation in your pooch’s paws, spend some time massaging their pads. Not only will a deep massage allow for great bonding time, it will also allow you to treat dry and cracked pads and promote relaxation.
- Using a Buchu-based product such as the all-natural Ricky Paw Restore Balm will help to keep inflammation and infection at bay while the special blend of natural waxes and oils promote skin elasticity and moisturisation.
While keeping your pet’s paws healthy with regular care, it’s also important to prevent damage in the first place. Remember to check surfaces for roughness as well as temperature before you start your walk – especially on extremely hot or cold days.
Two lucky readers will each win a doggy hamper worth R1 500, including the Ricky Paw Restore Balm
How to enter:
Simply fill in your details on the form below to enter.
Competition Ts & Cs:
– The winners will be announced at 12pm on July 31. Congratulations, Tharan Aheer and Jessica Trussel!
– Winners will be contacted via details entered on the form
– Prizes are not refundable and cannot be exchanged for money