School holidays are around the corner and parents will soon need exciting activities to keep the young ones busy and entertained. Avoid weather-related disappointment and rescheduling, and opt for undercover fun at the V&A Waterfront. Here are a few activities the whole family can join in:
Battery Park is also home to Rollercade where families can enjoy roller-skating, a game of pool or listening to music. You’re also welcome to host your next company social or private event.
In keeping with Covid regulations, only a limited number of people will be allowed per session and a mask is to be worn at all times.
- R150 for a two-hour session, includes rental of skates and safety gear.
- R80 for a two-hour session, bring your own skates.
- R40 attendance fee for spectators.
- Location: Battery Park, V&A Waterfront, Alfred St, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8000
- Website: rollercade.co.za
Two Oceans Aquarium
Another way to explore the ocean without getting wet is with a visit to the acclaimed Two Oceans Aquarium. Here you can get a glimpse of life under Cape Town’s oceans and an introduction to the fascinating creatures that live in it. You can meet giant sea turtles, a Nemo display of clownfish, and waddling penguins to name a few.
Visit the Touch Pool to get up close and personal with creatures and plants from the deep. This all-weather venue is an ideal destination for families to enjoy, and young and old will have the opportunity to explore below the waterline and discover an intriguing world usually hidden from sight.
- R220 per adult
- R165 per child 14 to 17 years old
- R105 per child 4 to 13 years old
- Free for children under 4 years old
- Location: Dock Rd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8002
- Website: aquarium.co.za
For some indoor fun, PlayDate SuperPark boasts a gigantic, triple-storey 450-square metre three-dimensional maze, has two Submarine Escape Rooms, a high line ropes course and a kiddie’s mini maze for the younger ones. This space incorporates educational play, delicious food, creative stimulation and more.
For those that prefer to watch, indulge the amazing foods on offer and or grab a cup of coffee all under one roof.
- R95 for one hour Adventure Pass
- R140 for one hour 30 minutes Adventure Pass
- R170 for two hours
- R220 for All Day Pass
- Under one’s first hour is free, under two’s pay R35 for the first hour, adults pay R30
- Location: V&A Waterfront, Watershed, The, 17 Dock Rd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8002
- Website: superpark.co.za
The Scratch Patch
By spending time searching through a wide selection and beautiful variety of gem stones at the V&A Waterfront’s Scratch Patch, kids will be sure to get lost with time and leave with a bag full of precious gems.
Southern Africa is often considered the ‘gemstone capital of the world’ as almost half of the world’s gemstones are found here. Visitors can make their way to Scratch Patch and experience the amazing beauty and variety of gemstones. This outlet is one of the most popular and convenient places to see and buy gemstones and gemstone products.
Kids and adults could spend a delightful hour or two selecting a choice of semi-precious stones. Want to keep the kids busy? Let them search and pick their own gemstones in the Scratch Patch. You never know what you might find.
- R30 for a small bag
- R25 for a small bag in groups of 10 or more
- R45 for a medium bag
- R140 for a large bag
- R90 for a cup
- R35 + R20 per person for golf
- Location: 1 Dock Rd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001
- Website: scratchpatch.co.za
Kids can be sure to unleash their individual creativity by playing, painting, sponging or spraying at Art Jamming in the Waterfront. Get ready to express yourself using our paints, a variety of drawing materials, 45 different colours, paint brushes, easels, and 12 different sizes of canvas. What is great is you don’t need any painting or drawing skills, but there are qualified artists on hand if you need any help.
It’s also a great idea for a birthday party or a function. And for the young kids, there is Messy Play – let your kids explore and learn to be creative.
- Location: Breakwater Blvd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001
- Website: artjamming.co.za
Makers Landing Kids Food Workshop
Real dough can be just as fun for little ones as playdough. If they are aged between five and 10 years old and are keen to get into the kitchen to learn to bake or cook, head over to the Makers Landing Demo Kitchen every Saturday and Sunday.
Parents can keep an eye on their little ones through the glass windows of the Demo Kitchen while enjoying delicious coffee and food, or doing some essential shopping for everything from sourdough and rusks to chocolate and cheese. And when lessons are over, the Makers Landing team will clean up after the little chefs.
- Location: The Cruise Terminal, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001
- Website: makerslanding.co.za