South Africans have fallen in love with Sex in Afrikaans, a new series available on Showmax. The eye-opening documentary series set a new record for the most first-day views of any Afrikaans title on Showmax ever, ahead of Devilsdorp. Viewing peaked at 8pm, once everyone had put their kids to bed.
Sex in Afrikaans follows clinical psychologist Bradley R Daniels as he helps four Afrikaans couples and two singles to have shameless discussions about their sex lives for the first time publicly, and in the process, discover that there is so much more fun to be had!
WATCH the trailer (not for viewers under the age of 18: Sex, Nudity, Language, Violence).
The media is already buzzing about the controversial series, which carries an 18SNLV age restriction.
Rian van Heerden, who narrates Sex in Afrikaans and produces through Provoco, says, “I think that every person who participated is a pioneer and is very brave indeed.”
This may be particularly true of married couple Brady and Tracy Fortuin, since they’re both pastors’ kids. “I can only think about all the church aunties and uncles,” laughs Brady.
Meet Tracy and Brady:
But as open as they are, Sex in Afrikaans was still a learning experience for the couple. “I think everyone to their own degree thinks they are liberal until they meet other people who are more liberal than they are,” says Brady. “We thought we were liberal until we got to all the toys and the rooms while filming Sex in Afrikaans. Yoh! There is a lot of latex!”
While not everything appealed to them, they picked up some new ideas in the process. “Before we appeared on the show, I never thought we would be interested in flogging — until my wife and I started playing with the material on the show,” Brady admits. “We discovered, ‘Hey, it’s not bad; it’s actually quite nice!’ So now we’re floggers.”
If you don’t know what flogging is, don’t worry: it’s covered in episode 5 of Sex in Afrikaans.
“My advice is: Explore!” says Tracy. “Even if it’s just a little thing like buying a toy or doing a little sexting. Send him a message other than just, ‘Bring milk and sugar.’ Explore, communicate and just be consensual with everything. There are so many ways to explore. That’s what Sex in Afrikaans shows: everyone has a little tiger inside them; everyone has a secret flogger inside them.”
Brady agrees: “Just climb out of your box and see what is out there for you.”
Tracy says she hopes Sex in Afrikaans “causes some kak! Because it’s still so taboo to talk about sex in public or to sit down with your family and friends and talk about sex. So, I hope Sex in Afrikaans stirs things up a bit, so people can start to become a little bit more open about the subject.”
After all, as Tracy memorably reminds us in the trailer, “Seks is vir my kak lekker.”
Twitter’s reactions are fierce, as usual:
- “I can’t use the 👊 emoji without thinking of that oom that described how much he loved 👊in his 🕳️
#sexinafrikaans. Look I’m NOT conservative chick and no judgement… But I was disturbed by it.”
- “My mother phoned me and told me to quickly watch #SexInAfrikaans before they remove it off @ShowmaxOnline. Apparently it’s “that” raunchy. @RianVanHeerden wat kak jag jy nou aan? 😂🤣”
- “30 seconds into #SexInAfrikaans and I’m howling 🤣💀”
- “Learning that the Afrikaans community is NOT as conservative as I was taught they were has been a very shocking and eye opening experience. #SexInAfrikaans”
- “#SexInAfrikaans has produced some fascinating characters. I am only three episodes in but the participants have been fascinating. It is honestly a gripping production. Can’t wait to continue once I am done with work later tonight.”
- “Entertaining as hell.”
- “You really shed some light on this predominantly taboo topic, with the necessary wit and humour as only you produce. It was rather informative and ‘treks’ you in at first glance! Well done #SexInAfrikaans.”