Few Mother’s Days will be as challenging as one spent in nationwide lockdown. This year’s day dedicated to the women who brought us into the world and support us along the way doesn’t have to be any less special, though.
If you’re wracking your brain on what you can do to treat mom this Sunday, here are a few options to help make mum feel special.
1. Prepare a feast with help from The President Hotel
This year The President Hotel is helping families celebrate mom by offering a delivery-only Mother’s Day menu.
The menu includes step-by-step preparation details, cooking instructions and an array of delicious items for you to create a feast for mom especially curated by The President Hotel’s Executive Chef Jacques Swart. Delivered straight to your door on Mother’s Day.
– Freshly baked bread
– Roast chicken leg quarters – marinated in chefs secret harissa sauce
– Line fish ragout pie with garden peas, golden puff pastry crust
– Honey roasted root vegetables
– Butternut and coconut bake with aged gouda and almonds
– Roast potatoes with butter and fresh garden herbs
– Basmati pilaf rice with toasted spices
– Classic malva pudding with crème anglaise
– R480 – serves 2
– R980 – serves 4
– R1380 – serves 6
– Delivery is free and will take place on Sunday, May 10 between 9am and 11am to customers within the Camps Bay, Bantry Bay, Fresnaye, Sea Point and Green Point areas.
–WhatsApp 066 038 4521 and specify serving size (2, 4 or 6) along with delivery address and your name / name of recipient
– A message will be sent back containing a safe online payment link to process payment
– Once payment is made, order will be confirmed
– Orders close Friday, 8 May 2020, 3pm
2. Deliver a special sweet treat to mom
Local chocolatier and maker of all things sweet, My Sugar, is now offering delivery for some of their sweetest treats.
You can scoop up a number of options for delivery available on their Facebook page, including doughnuts, brownies and one-of-a-kind chocolates.
Simply direct message My Sugar on Facebook or Instagram to place your order and be sure to look through their available options so you can decide what you want to gift mom this weekend.
3. Prepare a lockdown care package for mom
While your options may not be as bountiful as usual, there are a few options out there that you can make use of to compile a tailor-made care package for mom.
No one knows your mom as well as you do, so put as many of her favourite things as you can into a box or container and gift it to her.
Whether its bath salts, essential oils, lotions, creams, candles or coffee, you may be able to get your hands on a few of these kinds of products either online at stores like Faithful to Nature or at your local grocery store.
Put it all together with a thoughtful note and we’re sure you mom will appreciate it.
4. Bake something special to mark the day
If you don’t have a huge amount of money to spare this Mother’s Day, a great option is to bake something mom can eat and enjoy.
Whether its a cake, cupcakes or a milk tart, mom will surely be excited to enjoy it with you at home.
Baking goods are marked as essential and you can get hold of them while doing your usual shopping.
Here’s a great recipe for a classic chocolate cake from Pharma Dynamics’ Cooking from the Heart cookbook, if you’re out of ideas:
3 cups (750 ml) cake flour
1¼ cups (310 ml) sugar
4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
6 tbsp (90 ml) cocoa
2 cups (500 ml) hot water
½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
5 tbsp (75 ml) sunflower oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) white grape vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla essence
150 ml sugar
300 ml water
1 tbsp (15 ml) soft tub margarine
¼ cup (60 ml) cocoa
½ tsp (2,5 ml) vanilla essence
3 tbsp (45 ml) cornflour
1 tbsp (15 ml) grated chocolate
1. Preheat oven to a 180 °C and line a large rectangular (20 x 30 cm) baking tin or oven dish with baking paper.
2. Sift all dry ingredients together. Mix the liquids together and gradually fold into the dry ingredients. Pour batter into tin or dish.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the tin and cool.
4. Topping: Meanwhile, place all the ingredients, except the chocolate, in a pot and stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar.
5. Bring to the boil and simmer gently. Stir until the mixture thickens. Cool slightly and pour over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
5. A pleasure pack for mom from Jason Bakery
With a limited availability, Jason Bakery is offering the perfect way to treat mom this Mother’s Day.
The Saturday Pleasure Pack will be delivered this weekend but will last mom well into Mother’s Day and offer a variety of treats from their famous doughssants to caneles and marshmallow-stuffed compost cookies.
If your mom has a sweet tooth, this is definitely the way to go. Order now to avoid disappointment.
6. Give mom the gift of travel
Mom is tired, 2020 has been 24 months long already and it’s only May!
Treat mom to a Travel Voucher (valid for 36 months) to Treedom Villas and Vardos at 30% off.
The Uber luxury, yet super homey, Treehouse Villa sleeps 4 comfortably and is isolated from crowds – in a forest with a swinging daybed!
At only R 1820 per night (valid for stay until 31 Oct 2020), mom can take her 3 besties, the family, or enjoy it as a romantic getaway with dad!
To book your voucher email [email protected].