Smoky mac & cheese
Our sister publication My Kitchen shared this delicious recipe with brown mushrooms, eggs and smoked paprika. Keep it vegetarian and try out smoky mac & cheese for dinner tonight.
COOKING TIME 50 min
⅓ cup flour
200g mature cheddar, grated
Salt and pepper
250g brown mushrooms, sliced
Olive oil, to fry
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chopped thyme
500g macaroni, cooked as per packet instructions
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Place the butter and flour in a pot. Cook for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Add the milk slowly, while whisking.
3. Simmer the sauce over low heat until it thickens. Add two thirds of the cheese and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Fry mushrooms in oil until browned, 10 minutes. Season well and add paprika and thyme.
5. Stir the mushrooms through the cooked pasta, along with the white sauce, eggs and parsley.
6. Spoon into an ovenproof dish, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20–30 minutes.