Stop the press: I may have just eaten one of the best meals of my life. In my profession, I get to eat out a fair amount and the restaurants I visit are usually always good, but it’s still exciting when something absolutely spectacular comes along. Towers Restaurant at the Cape Town Marriott Hotel Crystal Towers is one of those.
The setting of Towers Restaurant is quite exquisite. It’s classy and upmarket, but not pretentious. The decor is stylish and ultra-modern.
And the chef? He creates masterpieces. Every dish is presented with the utmost focus on appearance. No detail is spared when it comes to the ‘little things’ either, such as the heavenly olive-infused butter served with bread at the beginning of the meal to the orange and coconut sorbet served in between courses.
Our meal consisted of
- Canadian scallops Horseradish, nectarine chutney, sorrel, vanilla, white chocolate R145
- Pork belly terrine Potato foam, sauerkraut, plums, almond, pickled mustard seeds R145
- Chicken fricassee Truffled ballantine, sarladais pommes, parmesan, asparagus, yellow curry lentils R175
- Moroccan jus veal fillet Braised ox cheeks, tomato, sweet potato, shallots, brussel sprouts, red wine emulsion, smoked bordelaise jus R235
- Coconut and pineapple crumble Lemon grass curd, mango sorbet R95
- Mint Spearmint ice-cream, peppermint sorbet, mint and lemon parfait, yuzu R90
As I mentioned earlier, this could be one of the best I’ve ever had. The thought that must have gone into every dish is stupendous, from the complementary tastes all the way to the presentation. It really was on a par with Cape Town’s elite restaurants.
Photography Courtesy images