Whilst some people might think that ditching chocolate is the best way to get their New Year off to a healthy start, it’s important to not shun the things you love: everything can be enjoyed in moderation. Chocolate is not your problem; it can be your solution.
If you want to have your chocolate and pull your sweet tooth in the process, you’ll have to consider dark. Dark chocolate is the preferred option because it contains higher levels of cocoa and less sugar. Research also shows that dark chocolate can help you control consumption after you eat.
The tolerance you have for chocolate can change in any direction you wish. Here’s how you do it:
- Start with a chocolate that’s a little darker than you’re used to. There are varying levels of intensity that increase gradually in cocoa percentage (70%, 78%, 85%, 90%, 99%).
- Start with the lowest percentage, 70%, and stay at that level until your tastebuds adapt (one to two weeks, depending on how affected your sweet tooth is), then move up again. In this way, you’re basically taking your own brain by the lobes and using the principles of gustatory habituation to move its preferences in the direction you want.
- This brain training technique translates to other foods as well, and you’ll start to favour other foods that have less sugar in them as well. You won’t want the sugary foods and snacks as much anymore.
In this way, chocolate is not the problem for your sugar intake and excessive sweet tooth – it’s the solution.
Here are three dark choccies we love:
De Villiers Chocolate, one of Africa’s first bean-to-bar chocolate brands, just made one of the world’s most craved foods more accessible – without adding sugar, dairy or gluten and without any compromise on taste!
Slabs range from milk to dark chocolate and include every decadent flavour one could ask for. Their 70% Salted Almond slab is heavenly.
- Location: Spice Route Farm, Suid Agter Paarl Road, Paarl
- Website: devillierschocolate.com (stocklists and more)
View this post on Instagram
Honest Chocolate is a small artisanal bean-to-bar chocolate company that believes in keeping things handcrafted, using old school methods, using quality organically produced ingredients, and making a pure chocolate that has a deliciously distinct feel and taste.
They serve beautifully wrapped slabs, spreads and handmade choccies perfect for spoiling. The slab collection gift will be something special! You’ll love the 70% with Miso and Tamari Roasted Sunflower Seeds — it’s sublime! And their packaging is beautiful.
Vegan options available.
- Address: 7 Barron Street, Woodstock
- Website: honestchocolate.co.za
View this post on Instagram
Lindt Chocolate Studio, V&A Waterfront
A first of its kind in South Africa and for LINDT worldwide, the chocolate classes at Lindt Chocolate Shop in Cape Town are the perfect destinations to experience decadent LINDT Chocolate.
All of the known-and-loved slabs are available there (and at retailers across the Mother City). The LINDT Excellence Caramel with a touch of sea-salt is the bomb.
- Address:2, Silo 2, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town
- Website: chocolatestudio.co.za