Cape Town – A sweltering high of 39°C has been forecast for the Mother City today.
Compared to Wednesday’s unbearable maximum of 32°C, Thursday’s conditions are are going to be worse. Central Cape Town can expect the mercury to rise just short of 40°C, while Malmesbury and Worcester are set for 40°C spells by afternoon.
Up the West Coast, Vredendal is bracing itself for a blazing 46°C – hot enough to unofficially declare it a holiday for locals to take respite from the heat.
The current heatwave is expected to subside by the weekend, with a high of 25°C predicted on Saturday.
Here are 7 tips on how to stay hydrated and safe during the heatwave:
1. Keep a large water bottle filled at all times to stay hydrated.
2. Eat fruits and vegetables, they are a great source of water and keep you healthy.
3. Drink a glass of water before each meal.
4. After a visit to the bathroom, drink a glass of water to replenish lost fluids.
5. Try and stay away from energy drinks, they are high in sugar and stimulants and can be counterproductive to staying hydrated.
6. Wear light clothes, and take breaks from being outdoors in the heat. Long periods of exposure can be dangerous.
7. Use sunscreen when you are in the sun.
— eNCAWeather (@eNCAWeather) December 6, 2017
— BIG Poppa (@jetmoses21) December 7, 2017
Please make sure your Pets have enough clean water and a shaded area in this heat. pic.twitter.com/X0Xj6cEqst
— Craig Mikkelsen (@CraigMikk) December 7, 2017
What do you even wear to insulate you from the torment of 39 degrees? pic.twitter.com/4uRvWf0fWt
— Tshepang Molisana (@TshepiMolisana) December 7, 2017