The Gentles family from Tafelsig Mitchells Plain lost their home and their hard-earned possessions in a devastating fire last Saturday. Their once modest house was a happy home to their family members and their beloved dog Fiebie.
*This article contains graphic images that may disturb sensitive viewers.
Fiebie who ran into the burning house to look for her owner, was injured in the fire and was rescued by Eugene Gentles, who risked his life to save her.
By the time Eugene reached Fiebie, she had collapsed and sustained some serious 1st degree burns to roughly 30% of her body, and to further complicate matters, she also inhaled a toxic cocktail of noxious fumes and smoke.
He carried her limp body to safety and arranged for her to be rushed to the Animal Welfare Society of SA, where she was given a guarded prognosis, strong pain relief and the best treatment possible.
“Yesterday despite our very best efforts, Fiebie took a turn for the worse and despite a full blood transfusion and around the clock monitoring it soon became painfully obvious that she was losing the battle to survive,” says the Animal Welfare Society of SA.
Some of Fiebie’s burn wounds had started to deglove, her cough had worsened and she was very hot to the touch.
“Notwithstanding our exhaustive efforts to ease her pain and save her, our courageous patient was suffering and we immediately notified the family who, after spending some quiet time comforting Fiebie, joined us as we said goodbye to their beloved pet.”
“We are always deeply saddened by the loss of any patient but let’s also spare a thought for this compassionate family who have lost absolutely everything including their most precious possession, Fiebie. Thank you to everyone who contributed towards Fiebie’s care bill – rest assured that we tried as hard as she did to survive,” concluded the Animal Welfare Society of SA.