The nationwide bus strike continues and commuters will have to find alternate modes of transport to get to work on Monday. The strike entered it’s sixth day after parties failed to come to a wage agreement following a two-day meeting with the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA).
Wage negotiations is at the root of the problem, workers want a 12% increase, and employers are offering only 7%. An offer of 8% for the first year, and 8.5% in the second year, has been rejected and workers are instead proposing a 9.5% increase in the first year and 9% in the next.
Last week, thousands of commuters were left stranded in Cape Town following the strike and to make matters worse, a massive delay in trains added further strain. Many workers didn’t make it to work, costing companies thousands of rands in losses.
South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) spokesperson, Zanele Sabela, confirmed that the bus strike will continue and said they plan to intensify action.
On Sunday the City of Cape Town told commuters that the MyCiTi service will remain suspended until further notice.
“It is still unclear when the nationwide strike action will come to an end, and as such the MyCiTi buses are not operating,” the notice read.