A 48-year-old man has succumbed to COVID-19, bringing the Western Cape’s death toll to 17 fatalities. The announcement was made by Premier Alan Winde during his daily update on the spread of the virus in the province.
“As of 5pm on April 19, the Western Cape has recorded 905 confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection,” he added.
Total confirmed COVID-19 cases: 905
Total recoveries: 215
Total deaths: 17
Total active cases (currently infected patients): 673
Patients in hospital: 37 of which 17 are in ICU
Total tests conducted: 17 307
Sub Districts Cape Town Metro:
Sub-district Cases:
Western: 241
Southern: 158
Northern: 38
Tygerberg: 79
Eastern: 72
Klipfontein: 57
Mitchells Plain: 57
Khayelitsha: 53
Total: 755
Sub Districts Non-Metro:
District Sub-district Cases
Garden Route: Bitou – 5
Garden Route: Knysna – 14
Garden Route: George – 14
Garden Route: Hessequa – 5
Garden Route: Mossel Bay – 19
Garden Route: Oudtshoorn – 3
Cape Winelands: Stellenbosch – 13
Cape Winelands: Drakenstein – 7
Cape Winelands: Breede Valley – 15
Cape Winelands: Langeberg – 1
Cape Winelands: Witzenberg – 24
Overberg: Overstrand – 11
Overberg: Theewaterskloof – 1
West Coast: Saldanha Bay Municipality – 3
West Coast: Matzikama – 1
West Coast: Swartland – 4
Unallocated: 10
“We extend our condolences to the family and friends of the deceased at this difficult time,” Winde said.
“Together we can fight the spread of COVID-19 simply by STAYING AT HOME when possible. When you don’t stay at home you expose yourself to contracting the virus. Be a hero- stay at home and protect the most vulnerable community members,” said Minister of Health Nomafrench Mbombo.
Humanitarian and social relief:
The nationwide lockdown has put economic pressure on households and families across the country. With many not able to work and earn a salary right now, the need for humanitarian and food relief is urgent.
“Over the weekend, I was part of the President’s Coordinating Council where the need for food relief was discussed as a matter of deep concern,” Winde said. “We welcome President Ramaphosa’s commitment in his newsletter today that national government will scale up welfare provision to help households living below the poverty line.”
In the Western Cape, the available data is being used to map where the greatest need exists, and to ensure that relief efforts from all spheres of government and the NGO and private sector do not overlap.
“As part of these mapping efforts, we have determined that municipalities in the Western Cape have so far spent R7-million on feeding schemes and food parcels during the lockdown. Many municipalities are however unable to afford this in the long run. The Western Cape Government is currently working on proposals in order to further support feeding schemes at a municipal level,” the Premier said. “The Western Cape Government has started the roll-out of the 50 000 food parcels which we have undertaken to fund and distribute. We continue to receive thousands of requests daily for food relief. We have doubled our call centre capacity in order to deal with the increased call volumes, however we understand that there is still a backlog and we are working 24/7 to ensure we onboard additional trained call centre agents.”
Members of the public should please carefully read the qualifying criteria and details around the vetting process before filling in the form. “Our food relief parcels are intended for those most in need, they are limited in number, and they will only be dispensed once a social worker has approved the application,” he added.
The qualifying criteria for relief are:
Households affected by COVID-19 infections in the following instances:
–   A member/s of the family tested positive for the virus and they are in quarantine in their homes.
–   A household where a member of the family tested positive for the virus and where they have insufficient means to sustain themselves during the lockdown period.
A person who is on medication or who suffers from a chronic illness and has insufficient means to sustain themselves and was assessed and referred by a local clinic or registered health practitioner.
A person and their household who have insufficient means to sustain themselves during the lockdown period who was referred by a registered humanitarian relief agency, registered NPO or a municipal manager, and assessed by DSD. In this instance, persons not yet in receipt of SASSA grants, including the elderly, child headed houses, grant awaiting beneficiaries will be prioritised.
“Emergency feeding has continued at schools in the province. These meals have allowed us to meet some of the nutritional needs of thousands of our youngest citizens at a time when they are most in need of it.
“I would like to extend my thanks to the teachers and volunteers who are helping the Western Cape Government to feed our vulnerable residents, as well as to the many NGOs, businesses and individuals who are responding to the needs of our communities right now with donations, meals and food parcels. Your kindness and selflessness at this time are valued,” added Winde.
Picture: Pixabay

Article written by

Lucinda Dordley

Lucinda is a hard news writer who occasionally dabbles in lifestyle writing, and recent journalism graduate. She is a proud intersectional feminist, and is passionate about actively creating a world which is free of discrimination and inequality.