The “Oscars” of the cookbook world, the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards, was recently hosted in Macao, China, and Cape Town-based chef Zola Nene walked away victorious.
Chef Zola Nene, the star of Celeb Feasts with Zola, first received a Gourmand World Cookbook Award in 2017 for her debut book, Simply Delicious.
Her second book, titled Simply Zola, was awarded the world’s best English cookbook by a celebrity TV chef. “Wow… That’s two books both winning international awards … Whew, no pressure for the third book, hey?!?” Nene joked on Instagram.
View this post on Instagram
SIMPLY ZOLA – BEST IN THE WORLD! 🎉 . It’s official, we won! My second cookbook has won an International Gourmand Cookbook Award… I’m so happy! 🤗 . Thank you to my awesome cookbook team who helped put this awesome book together – @penguinbookssouthafrica @beverleydodd @bas_new @matannakatz @tobymurphy_photography WE DID IT (again)! 🙌🏾 . Thanks to everyone who was rooting for me for this win! Wow…That’s two books both winning International awards… whew, no pressure for the third book, hey?!? 😅 . . #zolanene #cookbook #simplyzola #winner #gourmandworldcookbookawards #gourmandbestintheworld
Mogau Seshoene, another South African celebrity chef, also won an award in what she describes as the “Olympics” of cookbook competitions. Her book, titled The Lazy Makoti’s Guide to the Kitchen, snagged the second place in the Best First Cookbook category in the Gourmand World Awards.
Other local cookbooks that won at the awards include:
– Foodies of South Africa by Chantal Botha, Hayley Morison and Julie Brown — first place in the Blogger/Social Media Printed Book category.
– Halfaampieskraal: The Way We Live by Jan-Georg Solms and Ulrich Knoblauch — third place in the Hotels category.
– Tastes of Durban by David Bird and Deshnie Govender — third place in the Local (World) category.
– The Madiba Appreciation Club by Brett Ladds — second place in the African Cuisine category.
– Oranjezicht City Farm by Kurt Ackermann and Leonie Joubert — noted one of the two best fundraising/charity cookbooks in Africa.