The Cape Metropole and Garden Route are currently experiencing a resurgence in COVID-19 cases.
On Wednesday [November 25], Premier Alan Winde warned residents that the virus is spreading through communities at a faster rate, saying there is “now established community transmission again in this province.”
“The Western Cape Government is deeply concerned about the growing number of COVID-19 infections and hospitalisations in the province, which can now be considered as an established resurgence,” he said in a statement.
“A resurgence is when the number of active cases increase, week-on-week, by more than 20%. Over the last week alone, the province has witnessed a 52.1% jump in new cases, with an established pattern over time.”
The increase in active cases is primarily driven by two districts in the Western Cape: the Garden Route and the Cape Metro.
According to the Mayoral Committee Member for Community Services and Health, Councillor Zahid Badroodien, there is growing community transmission across the metropole, with certain suburbs showing higher active caseloads, based on the available data.
These suburbs include Bellville, Claremont, Delft, Dunoon, Grassy Park, Gugulethu, Hanover Park, Kuilsriver, Lentegeur, Lotus River, Macassar, Milnerton, Nyanga, Ottery, Parklands, Parow, Pinelands, Rocklands, Rondebosch, Sea Point, Somerset West, Strand, Tafelsig and Wynberg.
“It is imperative that Cape Town pulls together to ensure that the resurgence in caseload and related hospitalisations are curbed, and quickly too,” said Badroodien. “Unlike the peak, when the country was still in a hard lockdown, there is far more mobility under the current alert level, which means the risk of transmission is greater, and not limited to the suburbs that are experiencing a surge in caseload.”
Winde says that every person in the Western Cape must help prevent a lockdown and ensure that there are enough empty beds in our hospitals for those who need them.
Badroodien urges locals to continue strictly adhering to health and safety measures. He also advises calm be exercised when shopping in person on Black Friday, November 27.
“Much has been said about Black Friday and the anticipated rush in the retail sector. While we encourage support for the sector and the economy at large, we urge shoppers and establishments to ensure that all health protocols are observed at all times,” he said.
“There’s no point risking one’s health for a special that could end up costing far more in the long run. The City’s Environmental Health Service will monitor shopping malls and retailers to ensure compliance, in the interest of public safety.”
The public is also advised to report any non-compliance to the City’s Public Emergency Communication Centre on 021 480 7700 from a cellphone or 107 from a landline.