Rugby fans certainly won’t be happy campers upon hearing that the popular Cape Town Sevens tournament has been cancelled again for the second year due to “ongoing challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.”
This announcement was made on Friday by World Rugby and SA Rugby, who said that the tournament in Singapore has also been derailed. This was planned to take place on October 29-30.
“We highly regret that we had to cancel the Cape Town Sevens for a second successive season, but unfortunately the situation with the pandemic has made it impossible for us to stage the world-class event we’ve become used to in recent years,” said Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby.
“There were simply too many insurmountable challenges, in the ever-changing environment we are currently operating in, to allow us to predictably plan for an event of this magnitude.
“Due to Covid travel restrictions, several major teams had already indicated that they would not be able to travel to Cape Town in December, which further complicated our planning.
“In conjunction with World Rugby, we had no other choice than to take this very disappointing but necessary decision, with the health and welfare of players, fans and the wider public as top priority. However, we are hard at work to deliver a world-class Rugby World Cup Sevens in September next year,” Roux maintains.