Capetonians are now able to access the Newlands and Bradwell springs, as the City of Cape Town has put new health and safety protocols in effect. Both sites will be open seven days a week, from 5am to 9pm.
“The City of Cape Town’s Water and Sanitation department has received clearance from City Health and Law Enforcement to open the two City-managed spring water collection points in the metro,” Xanthea Limberg, the mayoral committee member for water and waste, said in a statement according to Times Live.
The public must adhere to the following rules at all times when visiting the sites:
– Collections are limited to a maximum of 25 litres at a time to prevent backlogs from forming
– No entry to the site without a mask
– Keep a physical distance of 1.5 meters from others at all times.
– Sanitise your hands upon entering the site
– Open and close taps with the back of your hands
– Ensure your container does not touch the tap
The following safety measures are being put in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
– Eight taps will be open (out of the current 16) at the Newlands spring site to allow for physical distancing during water collection
– Additional security will be provided to manage the physical distancing, parking arrangements, and other COVID-19 regulations
– Hand sanitizer will be provided at the entrance to the facility
– Security will be monitoring and ensuring that containers do not touch the bottom part of the tap
– This water is not for commercial use, and may not be sold. City staff (City Health, Law Enforcement and Water Department) will monitor the site and act on municipal transgressions as they arise
“Residents are reminded that the spring water is not treated, and it is used at the residents’ own risk,” Limberg added. “Recognising that these sites are very important to many residents, and their significance in the city’s culture, a special effort was made to open the spring water collection points as soon as we could. We kindly ask that residents comply with health and safety measures to allow everyone to use these sites safely and efficiently.”
The Newlands Springs site is situated on the northern side of the Newlands Swimming Pool, near the Dean Street Shopping Centre.
Bradwell Springs site is located on the corner of Upper Buitenkant and Ludlow Street site.
Picture: UCT News