A Hanover Park cat owner accidentally locked her young cat in the tumble dryer for approximately 10 minutes on Wednesday, July 7.
By the time she noticed the cat frantically trying to escape, it was almost too late. The cat was admitted, frothing from the mouth due to an extensive concussion from the constant tumbling, and had suffered irreparable brain damage (due to oxygen deprivation). The cat’s lungs had also collapsed (due to inhalation of hot air) and a host of other serious internal injuries and external burns from the hot metal drum.
The family was clearly traumatised by the accident and after witnessing the cat on the examination table writhing in pain, they unhesitatingly requested that the Animal Welfare of SA put a merciful end to her suffering.
“You would be forgiven for thinking that this is an isolated incident but every winter we see a lot of similar cases,” the AWS says.
“Pets crave a warm and draft-free place to sleep and we have rescued and treated many who were found stuck in washing machines and under car bonnets.”
The AWS goes on to express that “We still vividly recall three cats who sustained 3rd degree burns from being trapped in a tumble dryer. They were literally cooked alive and the extent of their injuries was so severe that they do not bear repeating.”
The fact that her cat had chosen to climb into the tumble dryer never crossed her mind and it will take her a very long time to overcome her guilt for being negligent.
The aim of this post is to remind all pet owners to be constantly aware of the whereabouts of your pets especially cats and kittens who are instinctively inquisitive, adorably mischievous and love nothing more than to seek out a cosy place to rest – sometimes to their detriment.