The Western Cape has reported 3069 active COVID-19 infections, with a total of 290 177 people having been infected with the virus to date. 275 461 Recoveries were also reported as of May 17.
A total of 93 153 vaccines received to date as part of the Sisonke trial have been administered by on May 2021 16, Premier Alan Winde reports.
Here is a breakdown of the province’s COVID-19 figures:
- Total confirmed number of people ever infected with Covid-19 in WC 290 177
- Total recoveries 275 461
- Vaccines administered 93 153
- Total deaths 11 711
- Total active cases (currently infected patients) 3069
- Tests conducted 1 585 029
- Hospitalisations 735, of which 158 are in high care or ICU
- Total confirmed number of people infected with COVID-19 in WC
The Western Cape government has also recorded 16 additional deaths since the last update on Thursday, May 13, bringing the total number of COVID-19 related deaths in the province to 11 711.
Meanwhile, Winde was present at the Brooklyn Chest Hospital on Monday, May 17 where phase two of the vaccine rollout was launched. The Archbishop Emeritus, Desmond Tutu and his wife, Leah Tutu were one of the first senior citizens to be vaccinated in the province.
— Premier Alan Winde (@alanwinde) May 17, 2021