The Western Cape has lost three more residents to the COVID-19 pandemic, Premier Alan Winde said in a statement. As of 5pm on April 28, the province had recorded 1 935 positive coronaviruses cases.
“The Western Cape has recorded another three deaths – two men, aged 78 and 67, and a 79-year-old woman – all with underlying illnesses. This brings the total number of deaths in the province to 38. We send our condolences to the family and friends of the deceased at this difficult time,” Winde said.
Total confirmed COVID-19 cases: 1 935
Total recoveries: 624
Total deaths: 38
Total active cases (currently infected patients): 1 273
Total number of tests: 30 803
Patients in hospital: 84, with 26 in ICU
Sub-districts Cape Town Metro:
Mitchells Plain: 148
Total: 1 660
District Sub-district Cases
Garden Route: Bitou: 5
Garden Route: Knysna: 5
Garden Route: Mossel Bay: 19
Garden Route: Oudtshoorn: 3
Cape Winelands: Stellenbosch: 19
Cape Winelands: Drakenstein: 14
Cape Winelands: Breede Valley: 24
Cape Winelands: Langeberg: 3
Cape Winelands: Witzenberg: 102
Overberg: Overstrand: 11
Overberg: Theewaterskloof: 1
West Coast: Bergrivier: 2
West Coast: Saldanha Bay Municipality: 3
West Coast: Swartland: 6
Three cases previously allocated to Swartland have been reallocated due to updated address data.
Community testing and screening:
“Our community screening and testing initiative continues this week – with testing in areas across the metro and in our non-metro regions. In total, we have screened nearly 200 000 people – and tested over 7000 of these,” Winde said. “Our screening and testing follows an active case finding approach, where we rigorously follow the pockets of infections within communities. Community screening helps us to identify where infections may be prevalent, and to test, isolate and quarantine as necessary.”
Cabinet today received a full presentation the co-ordinated response to COVID-19 infections in the Witzenberg region. The response included an overview of screening and testing conducted to date, updates on engagements with businesses and farmers in the area as well as planned responses in the transport space.
“The Departments of Agriculture and Health are currently engaging with the industry in order to develop guidelines for screening and testing on farms and have already advised on protocol for the transportation of agri-workers,” Winde said.
Over 35 000 masks have also been distributed to farm workers in the region, with the assistance of AgriWC and AFASA.
The Department of Basic Education today made a presentation to national Parliament containing tentative dates for the reopening of schools. These dates are not definite and do not constitute an official announcement.
“This has caused some confusion and concern. Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga is expected to make announcements tomorrow and we await her comments for further clarity,” Winde added.
CTICC temporary hospital:
“Earlier today, we announced that we will be turning the CTICC into a temporary COIVD-19 hospital, with over 800 acute beds, as part of our preparedness planning. Work will now begin to fit the site, which is expected to open in June. More details on this will be announced tomorrow,” the Premier said.