Police Minister Bheki Cele has revealed that more than 100 arrests related to extortion rackets have been made in Cape Town.
EWN on Friday quoted Cele as saying that at least 106 people linked to extortion cases in the metro had been arrested and charged.
Three police officers were being investigated for extortion, including the deputy defence minister’s protector, who was arrested for kidnapping to extort in March, Cele said.
The minister said this while briefing the media on the latest developments made by the Western Cape Extortion Steering Committee on Thursday.
The committee was made up of national and provincial government representatives, the police, the City of Cape Town and businesses. It was established in September 2020 as a response to concerns raised by private individuals and businesses about being coerced into paying so-called “protection fees”, according to IOL.
A News24 report said that Cele believed they were closing in on the extortion ring that has plagued Cape Town’s businesses since last year.
“While there were some teething problems in the beginning, the team has taken off and its work so far has been commendable. Investigations are ongoing and we are expecting more arrests to take place. The integrated approach and sharing of resources are owed to these arrests,” the report quoted Cele as saying.
PICTURE: Cape Town etc gallery