Carbon monoxide poisoning appears to be the possible cause of the tragic death of 21 teenagers at Enyobeni Tavern in Scenery Park, East London on Sunday.
Speaking to News24, a reliable source claimed the children, aged 13 to 17, were likely killed due to toxic fumes from a petrol generator which was reportedly being used inside the tavern.
Traces of carbon monoxide were allegedly found in the preliminary results of the post-mortem, however, the final autopsy results will be announced on Wednesday or Thursday.
Samples were whisked off to the University of Cape Town for further analysis.
The Enyobeni Tavern have been accused of various offences according to multiple alcohol trading authorities, as per The South African. These include allowing minors entry, failing to stop further guests from entering after maximum capacity was reached, selling alcohol to minors, and staying open after closing. The tavern has reportedly been instructed to shut down permanently.
According to the Eastern Cape Health Department, 16 survivors from the night in question have since been treated and discharged from one of their health facilities.
Picture: @kluisenaar / Twitter