Eben Etzebeth is taking the Human Rights Commission (HRC) to court.
Speaking to Netwerk24, Bongani Majola, who is the HRC chair, said that the commission has been served legal papers from the 27-year-old Springbok’s attorney.
“We received the documents on Monday,” he said. “I’m busy working through them. We still have to determine exactly why he’s taking us to court.”
Its been rumoured that Etzebeth’s legal team will focus on controversial public remarks made by Buang Jones, the HRC’s legal head, over the player’s alleged involvement in several controversial incidents in the Langebaan area shortly before the Springboks’ World Cup squad announcement.
Jones had informed a community gathering earlier this month that the commission would “make an example” of Etzebeth’s behaviour as he alleges that the Bok has been “getting away with murder.”
In addition to charges of hate speech, the police are also investigating several potential criminal charges against the senior rugby player.