A group representing the Hout Bay community took to the streets on Sunday [June 28] to peacefully protest against forced evictions. This forms part of ongoing protests following the City’s demolition of shacks in the Hangberg area.
According to SAPS representative Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana, the group consisted of about 100 members, most of whom were children. The crowd marched to Hout Bay SAPS but due to the Disaster Management Act (Act no.57 of 2002) pertaining to the prohibition of groupings, they were requested to return home.
“Police and other Law enforcement agencies then gave the leadership of the protest an opportunity to hand over the memorandum,” said Rwexana. “The memorandum was received by a representative from Human Rights Commission and promised to give it to the City Of Cape Town. The group dismissed with no further incidents.”
The Daily Maverick reports that conflict began in early June when residents and representatives from the City clashed over the demolition of a number of structures. Police fired rubber bullets and teargas in an effort to disperse a protesting crowd on June 11, and on June 19, footage captured City of Cape Town law enforcement officers demolishing structures the City claimed were vacant.
“The City of Cape Town removed an illegally erected structure in Hangberg yesterday, after warnings had been given to remove the illegally erected structure, in accordance with complaints received from the community in the area. A trespassing order is also in place,” said the City in a statement.
Community leader Lee Smith told the Daily Maverick that the land had been set aside for housing, and an application for an interdict had been filed to prevent the City from developing the sight.