Legal proceedings will be instituted against Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth this Friday says The South African Human Rights Commissions (SAHRC).

The rugby star is being accused of physically and racially abusing a man during an altercation while at a pub in Langebaan in August earlier this year.

Etzebeth has denied all allegations saying that multiple witnesses can corroborate his innocence. Currently Etzebeth is playing for the Springboks in the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The SAHRC told News24 that the community has been angry about how SAPS and the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) handled the matter.

The commission has also stated that a public meeting will be held on Thursday, October 3, 2019 in Seebreeze Hall, Langebaan to report on the progress involving the case. The meeting will start at 6pm.
Etzebeth reportedly has two counts of assault against him and the SAHRC is looking to confirm a court date.

The SA Rugby Union is currently not available for comment due to being in Japan. The organisation has however previously stated that they do not tolerate acts of racial abuse or violence.

Picture: Facebook

Article written by

capeetc

We love this place! Cape Town Etc features news, reviews, entertainment and lifestyle in the Mother City.