With the Cape Town International Jazz Festival taking place this week, the City has released an update on the road closures that will be in place during the festivities.
The festival is celebrating its 20th edition, and Cape Town’s Mayor, Dan Plato, says, “The City is proud to host the Cape Town International Jazz Festival which has become an important part of the Cape Town brand for the last two decades.”
Prior to the big event, a free community concert will be held at Greenmarket Square in the CBD on March 27 and will feature local artists such as Shekhinah, Craig Lucas and more. The free concert will start at 4.30pm.
Plato explains that “The free concert is an opportunity for those who could not get a ticket for the festival to enjoy access to some of the best local and international artists on one stage. I would also like to welcome the thousands of festival-goers and performers who are making their way to our beautiful city this week. Cape Town welcomes you with open arms and we hope that the experience will live in your memories long after the last notes fade.”
To ensure that everything runs smoothly on the day of the Jazz Festival, a detailed event plan has been set up.
Mayco Member for Safety and Security JP Smith says that several measures have been put in place to ensure the safety of all festival-goers.
“Crucial to any event is the safety and security of attendees and the various City departments involved in these aspects are well versed on these matters. We will have staff deployed, along with various other entities, to ensure public safety. However, it requires a collective effort. Our message to festival-goers and also the thousands of festival-goers expected at the Greenmarket Square event mid-week is to let your hair down, but to take responsibility for your personal safety.”
During the Community Concert, temporary road closures at the following locations will be in place from March 26 – 28 2019.
Closures will be in place from 6am.
– Shortmarket Street between Adderley and Long Street
– Burg Street between Church Street and Long Street
– Long Market street between Long Street and Adderley Street
– Burg Street, between Hout Street and Shortmarket Street.
Road closures for the annual Jazz Festival will be as follows:
– Lower Long Street between FW De Klerk Boulevard and P2 parking. From March 28 – 31, 6am – 4pm.
– Lower Long Street, (southbound) between FW De Klerk Boulevard and Walter Sisulu Avenue. From March 29 – 31, 1pm – 9am.
– Walter Sisulu Avenue (east bound) between lower Long street and Heerengracht Street. From March 29 – 31, 9am – 4pm.
– Walter Sisulu Avenue (east bound) between Buitengracht street and Lower Long street. From March 29 – 31, 4pm – 9am.
– Walter Sisulu Avenue (west bound) between Heerengracht Street and Lower Long Street. From March 29 – 31, 5pm – 9am.
– Heerengracht Street (north bound) between Hertzog Boulevard and FW De Klerk Boulevard. From March 29 – 31, 6pm – 9am.
– FW De Klerk Boulevard between Lower Long Street and Heerengracht Street. From March 29 – 31, 1pm – 9am.
Picture: City of Cape Town, Jazz Fest