A little boy of 12 years old has reportedly passed away after trying to mimic an experiment he observed on video sharing site, TikTok, as per The South African.
Raven Naicker, a student at Effingham Primary school in Durban, has passed away as a result of burns he obtained after attempting the experiment.
The experiment included setting sanitiser on fire, according to IOL.
According to IOL, the boy put the liquid sanitiser into a bowl and lit it up with matches, causing flames that would result in detrimental burns.
A message surrounding the events began to make rounds on social media. It expressed that Naicker was “practising what he saw on a TikTok.”
“[He] filled a bowl with sanitiser and lit it causing it to explode onto him. He sustained severe burns and sadly passed away…Please talk to your kids about this,” the messenger stated according to The South African.
According to IOL, KZN police spokesperson, Colonel Thembeka Mbele has said that the boy died in hospital on Wednesday.
Vee Ganie who is a part of the Parent Association of KwaZulu-Natal, has expressed deep concern toward how children mimic videos.
“Children are going to experiment and as parents and caregivers, we need to caution them. We don’t want incidents of this nature to occur. Parents need to educate their children and warn them not only of stranger danger but of the dangers of technology as well.”
He went on to say that “kids have access to television, smartphones and data. We can’t stop them from accessing technology. If you deny them technology, you’ll be sending them to the dark ages. Kids are young and impressionable and we need to make them understand the repercussions of engaging in dangerous activities.”