The teenager who stands accused of killing 22-year-old gay man Lonwabo Jack from Nyanga has abandoned his bail application. The juvenile appeared in the Athlone Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, April 29. He made his first appearance last week following his arrest where he was charged with murder. The case was postponed until May 25 for further investigations.
As reported by IOL, National Prosecuting Authority(NPA) spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila indicated that the accused will remain at Bonnytoun. Jack’s murder sparked a lot of outrage and numerous marches in Nyanga with the community calling for the case to be escalated to the provincial detectives.
Meanwhile, Western Cape Community Safety MEC Albert Fritz said that his department would not rest until there was a marked reduction of such cases. According to EWN, his spokesperson Wade Seale said: “When we speak of gender-based violence, we include all of those who suffer violence and even death because of societal reactions and perceptions around gender. This, therefore, includes people like Lonwabo who suffered this gruesome death on his birthday. No one deserves that,” Seale added.
In the meantime, the knife that was allegedly used to kill Jack was found last week.
Picture: Cape Town Etc gallery
READ ALSO :