Western Cape Education MEC, Debbie Schafer, has brushed off threats by the Congress of South African Students (COSAS) who has vowed to take action if the 2017 results are published in newspapers.
Schafer responded by tweeting: “Not really any point. I don’t control newspapers. And the names are not published as I said. How they can threaten what they have is ridiculous and irresponsible,” she said in a tweet in response to Cape Town Etc’s question on whether she is willing to meet with COSAS.
COSAS Secretary General Syabong Mbokazi said that the publishing of Matric results is not beneficial and can cause big problems for children.
“In many cases their are children who have killed themselves and some students have stolen other children’s examination numbers and claiming it to be theirs. We are condemning it and we want the results to be issued out like report cards,” Mbokazi said.
Meanwhile, the results of private schools have been released. They indicated a slight increase of the pass rate from previous years.
COSAS have threatened to petrol bomb news outlets and protest outside various media houses who intend to publish results.
“I am aware of what we said with regards to the bombing, However, I must emphasise that we do not intend to incite any violence, we will continue to engage with the department and stakeholders with regards to this,” Mbokazi said.
Its not the first time the student congress had been protesting for matric results not to be published, and very often their call has fallen on deaf ears.
“We will continue to hold discussions with the department on this matter and request for meetings until we get our way. I don’t see the point in releasing the matric results in newspapers,” Mbokazi said.
Basic education minister Angie Motshekga is expected to release the examination results tomorrow evening and Matric pupils can collect their results on Friday.