Mitchells Plain residents defied the lockdown and clashed with police today, April 14, over the lack of food parcel delivery.
Residents who said they were hungry and had not received food parcels threw stones at police and said the would stay on the street until the food parcels they were promised had been delivered, according to Enca.
Western Cape Premier Alan Winde responded, “this demonstrates the serious humanitarian challenge facing communities across our country, and the need for increased support from SASSA and national government in addition to our emergency measures. We urge all residents to abide by the law and looting cannot be tolerated.”
He explained that with regards to the Western Cape government’s emergency addition funding, included was the provision of once-off creation and distribution of 50 000 food parcels. For distribution, individuals will be assessed by the Department of Social Development’s officials based on certain criteria.
Social workers from the department will complete the screening and assessments of all beneficiaries, providing food parcels to those who are deemed the most vulnerable.
The food parcels will support an average household for one month and will be based on the following qualifying criteria:
– Households affected by COVID-19 infections in the following instances:
– A member/s of the family who tested positive for the virus and are in quarantine in their homes.
– A household where a member of the family who tested positive for the virus and who have insufficient means to sustain themselves during the lockdown period.
– A person who is on medication or who suffers from a chronic illness and have insufficient means to sustain themselves, and was assessed and referred by a local clinic or registered health practitioner.
– A person and their household who have insufficient means to sustain themselves during the lockdown period who was referred by a registered humanitarian relief agency, registered NPO or a municipal manager, and assessed by the department. In this instance, persons not yet in receipt of SASSA grants, including the elderly, child headed houses, and grant awaiting beneficiaries will be prioritised.
“The current situation we find ourselves in is unprecedented and as the lockdown is set to continue until the end of the month, affecting the ability to earn a living across our province, we are likely to see more people needing assistance,” said Winde.
He called on individuals, businesses and NGOs who are able to assist, to do so. “We thank all of those organisations and people who have stepped up to help their fellow citizens.”
To find out more about how to assist, visit the government website’s How You Can Help page.