No emergency shelter will be activated for the 500+ people who have been left homeless after a fire swept through Jim se Bos in Philippi on Sunday night, and destroyed their dwellings, says the City of Cape Town’s Disaster Risk Management.
According to the City’s Fire and Rescue Services, they had responded to an emergency call that large amounts of wood and iron structures were burning, News24 reports.
“The response included 17 firefighting vehicles with 72 firefighters. As the conditions were not favourable, it took firefighters just under nine hours to extinguish the fire,” Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Edward Bosch said.
Since then, one person has died, three firefighters were injured and almost 200 homes were destroyed by the fire, says IOL.
“No emergency sheltering has been activated and residents have instead opted to stay with family and friends,” Disaster Risk Management spokesperson Chantel Alexander stated.
The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) will be supplying meals to these affected individuals for three days, including mattresses, blankets and vanity packs. The Gift of the Givers have also contributed hot meals and water to the distressed community, adds News24.
“The Department of Social Development will assist with psycho-social support for the affected persons,” Alexander added.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation, News24 concludes.