Motorists can expect to pay less for petrol and diesel from Wednesday, after the department of energy announced price changes thanks to the stronger rand.
On Wednesday, consumers will pay 30 cents less for petrol (both grades), and 17 cents for diesel per litre. The cost of illuminating paraffin will decrease by 19 cents per litre.
The main contributor to the decrease in petrol price was largely thanks to the stronger rand.
“The rand appreciated, on average, against the US dollar (from R13.23 to R12.20 per USD) during the period under review. This led to a lower contribution to the basic fuel price on petrol, diesel and illuminating paraffin by 52.85cpl, 54.66cpl and 54.88cpl respectively,” the department said in a statement.
Change in prices:
- Petrol 93: 30 cents per litre decrease
- Petrol 95: 30 cents per litre decrease
- Diesel 0.05%: 17 cents per litre decrease
- Diesel 0.005%: 17 cents per litre decrease
- Illuminating paraffin: 19 cents per litre decrease