Police are yet to apprehend the suspects that were witnesses fleeing the train that was suspected to have been set alight at Cape Town station last Saturday.

It is alleged that two suspects were seen disembarking and running from the train shortly before smoke began streaming from the locomotive.

South African Police Services (SAPS) are currently investigating a case of malicious damage to property as two coaches went up in flames on last Saturday.

Last Thursday, Minister of Transport, Blade Nzimande, inspected two trains that had been razed at the same station days before.

Speaking to IOL, Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) spokesperson Nana Zenani said that the train fires that had occurred between 21 and 28 July caused Prasa millions in damages.

Saturday’s train fire alone set Prasa back by R30-million.

On Thursday, a train was allegedly set alight at Retreat station, making it one of many trains to go up in smoke this year.

“It is clear this is the work of people who have placed themselves as enemies of Prasa, enemies of our commuters and enemies of the South African government,” Zenani said. “No stone will be left unturned to find those responsible for this senseless malicious damage. The target will not only be the foot soldiers who carry out these crimes but also those who command them and stand to benefit from these criminal acts.”

She added that protecting commuters is part of Prasa’s duty as a democratic state, and that it is the agency’s job to “stem lawlessness and impunity”.

She called on communities to support Prasa in identifying the suspects.

Anyone with information may anonymously contact Crime Stop on 0860010111 or SMS Crime Line on 32211.

Picture: Supplied/City of Cape Town

Article written by

Lucinda Dordley

Lucinda is a hard news writer who occasionally dabbles in lifestyle writing, and recent journalism graduate. She enjoys reading the works of Stephen King, and exploring the beauty of Cape Town and its surrounds.