During the EFF’s planned national shutdown on Monday, public transportation, including Golden Arrow bus services and Santaco-affiliated taxis, will remain operational in the Western Cape.
Also read: National shutdown: SANDF will back-up police fears of violence
The Minister of Mobility in the Western Cape, Ricardo Mackenzie, said in a statement that public transportation operations, including Golden Arrow bus services and Santaco-affiliated taxis, will remain operational in the Western Cape.
Public Transport operations will continue their regular schedules tomorrow.#LetsGetToWork pic.twitter.com/i4DBXF23qE
— Ricardo Mackenzie MPL🇿🇦 (@ricardomackenzi) March 19, 2023
This announcement comes after the Western Cape High Court granted the province’s interdict on Friday to prevent unlawful protests, incitement to violence and intimidation and property damage.
According to IOL, Mackenzie said the following:
“I welcome the announcements by our various mobility partners that public transport operations on Monday are scheduled to go ahead without disruption,” said Mackenzie. “This means that people should still be able to get to work and keep our economy running at a time when protecting jobs is crucial.”
He stated that the South African National Taxi Council confirmed that minibus taxi services would continue to operate on their regular schedules and routes and that their members had been warned to remain vigilant for passenger safety.
“Golden Arrow Bus Services reassured commuters that they plan to operate regular service on Monday, in collaboration with safety and security agencies, and that the operational area will be monitored with contingency plans in place,” said Mackenzie.
He went on to say that the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) has stated that trains will run as scheduled, that any changes to the schedule will be communicated, and that security plans are in place for the safety of passengers and staff.
“The SAPS, law enforcement agencies, Provincial Traffic Services, and others have confirmed that comprehensive plans are in place to ensure safety in our province,” Mackenzie concluded.
If members of the public witness any acts of violence or intimidation on Monday, they are urged to contact law enforcement or the WCG via the following number: 0860 142142; or by email: [email protected]
WC warns of tyres placed at strategic locations ahead of Monday’s protest
Picture: City of Cape Town / Facebook