The annual State of the Nation Address will be taking place on Thursday, February 11. Various roads will be closed off, even though many of the ceremonial aspects preceding the SONA will be downscaled this year.
There will be no rehearsals on the days prior to SONA. As a result, the City’s Traffic Service advises that road closures will be limited to the area around the Parliamentary precinct, the M2 and N2 inbound.
The closures on the mentioned main routes will be intermittent, between 6.15pm and 7pm on the day, and will impact on traffic flow.
The City appeals to road users to acquaint themselves with the closures and to plan their routes accordingly.
These are the roads that will be closed to the public:
Additional Controlled Roads & Closures:
Security fencing will line the route in the CBD. There will be guarded pedestrian crossing points during peak time on Plein St (Barrack St and Commercial St). Pedestrians should be encouraged to make use of Buitenkant Street.
Company Gardens will be closed on Thursday from 6am to 10pm. 3. Darling St between Adderley and Buitenkant St’s and Wale St between Adderley and Queen Victoria St’s, Plein Street between Darling & Barrack St; Mostert/Spin/Bureau St between Corporation St and Adderley St may be closed during the day on February 11 for security reasons.
Contingency closure in case of an emergency may include the following roads.
– Barrack Street between Buitenkant and Plein Streets
– Albertus Street between Buitenkant and Corporation Streets
– Caledon Street between Buitenkant and Corporation Streets
– Parade Street between Darling and Caledon Streets
– Mostert Street between Buitenkant and Plein Streets
– Buitenkant Street between Darling and Wesley / Mill Streets
– Darling Street between Adderley and Canterbury Streets
– Adderley Street between Strand and Bureau Streets
– Longmarket Street between Buitenkant and Long Streets
– Church Street between Burg and Adderley Streets
– Burg Street between Wale and Longmarket Streets
Parking Restrictions – From midnight until 11.59 on Thursday
– Vrede Street between St Johns and Hope Street. Please note that no parked vehicles will be permitted in the following areas:
City: CBD / Foreshore area:
– Adderley St: between Longmarket & Bureau St
– Wale Street: Queen Victoria Street & Bureau Street (Both Sides)
– Strand St: between Adderley and Christiaan Barnard St overpass.
Parliament / Company Gardens area:
– Church Square: corner of Spin & Parliament St’s.
– Roeland St: between Buitenkant & Plein St.
– Plein St: between Spin Street & Roeland St’s.
– St. John’s St: between Roeland & Vrede St’s
– Spin St: between Parliament & Plein St’s.
– Parliament St: between Longmarket & Bureau St’s.
– St. Mary’s Cathedral Parking Area: between Bouquet & Roeland St’s.
– Gallery Lane.
– Bouquet St.
– Commercial St: between Buitenkant and Plein St.
– Barrack St: between Corporation and Plein St.
– Mostert St: between Corporation and Plein St.
– Hope St: from Roeland to Tuin Square (Both Sides)
– Avenue Street and Paddock Street
Public Transport – Scheduled Bus services:
Golden Arrow Bus Service operations will be affected as follows: The Golden Acre bus terminus will operate as per normal on Thursday. Bus operations from the terminus will proceed via Lower Plein St, Darling or Strand Str. In the event Darling St is closed to traffic, incoming buses will divert via Russell St, Strand St to the terminus.
For emergencies, call the City’s Public Emergency Call Centre; dial 107 (landline) or 021 480 7700 (cell).
For enquiries, contact the 24/7 Transport Information Centre at 0800 65 64 63 for any updates.
Picture: Cape Town ETC gallery