A mass shooting at a home in PJS informal settlement in Khayelitsha at around 7:30pm left six men dead on Saturday night [January 31].

Five men were killed on the scene and two were seriously injured when police arrived, according to police spokesperson Novela Potelwa. The two injured were transported to a medical facility where the sixth victim succumbed to their injuries.

“It is alleged that the victims were in a friend’s home at PJS informal settlement in Khayelitsha when three armed suspects entered and fired several shots, killing five and wounding two. Two seriously injured victims were taken to a medical facility for treatment where one later died,” said Potelwa.

The victims were aged between 29 and 36 and were inside a friend’s home when three armed suspects gained entry into the dwelling and opened fire. The deceased men were all from Khayelitsha.

“Western Cape provincial detectives have launched a manhunt for three suspects,” said the South African Police Service in a statement.

Police intensified the search for the suspects and launched the 72-hour activation plan for the mobilisation of resources.

Anyone who has information that will help in expediting the police investigation, is urged to contact the police on 08600 10111 or utilise the My SAPS App. All information received will be handled in strict confidence.

In a separate incident on Saturday, a WhatsApp message began circulating about a bomb threat in Macassar.

The message alleged that there was a situation near the entrance to the Huntsman after a cash-in-transit vehicle was hijacked in Stellenbosch. The message warned of a possible bomb threat.

A video shared to Twitter showed an explosive device being removed from a security guard. The man was fitted with the device and thrown out of the vehicle.

“The Western Cape bomb disposal unit responded to an incident where a cash-in-transit company employee was allegedly abducted, strapped with explosive materials and forced to remove cash from several ATMs in Cape Town. The 30 year old man was then dropped off along the N2 highway near Firgrove Road, with the explosive materials still strapped to him,” confirmed Potelwa.

Image: Pexels

Article written by

We love this place! Cape Town Etc features news, reviews, entertainment and lifestyle in the Mother City.