Silence from rapper, AKA (Kiernan Forbes), who has been a headline spectacle since the death of his fiancée, Anele Tembe, has finally been broken via a media statement released by The T Effect.
Tembe fell to her death in Cape Town at the Pepperclub hotel in April. Since then, the media has been ablaze with speculation, fuelled by allegations of abuse by Anele prior to her fatal fall, as well as by an anonymous source and friend of the deceased.
It has been reported that a friend of Anele’s handed over video footage of AKA breaking down a door in their Johannesburg apartment. Since then, the internet has been divided over the alleged “violent” nature of the superstar.
‘You don’t know what he’s been doing to me’ to breaking down the door footage – internet’s opinions on cancelling AKA
A Sunday World report said in one of the disturbing videos, AKA was seen breaking down a door with a terrified Tembe heard pleading with him to calm down.
AKA, who was meant to perform at the Huawei Joburg Day, has officially withdrawn from the performance. This is what the artist management company, The T Effect, released on behalf of Forbes.
Statement regarding @akaworldwide’s participation at the 2021 #HuaweiJoburgDay pic.twitter.com/Lqa40Ww3RQ
— 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙏 𝙀𝙁𝙁𝙀𝘾𝙏 (@TEffectGlobal) May 12, 2021
Meanwhile, Forbes’ father, Tony Forbes, has reportedly come to his son’s defense after the rapper came under pressure from social media users over the death of his fiancée, Anele “Nelli” Tembe.
According to Sowetan, Tony on Wednesday spoke out against calls to #MuteAKA, as investigations continued into the death of AKA’s fiancée Anele “Nelli” Tembe.
He said his son had been struggling to mourn properly because of the “damaging public perceptions” about the nature of their relationship with Nelli.
Footage released: AKA shown to be “violent”, he says he is “cooperative witness”
Picture: AKA / Instagram