Three people have been arrested on Wednesday, May 26 following a fatal cable car accident that left 14 people dead and two children seriously injured.
According to IOL, the investigators said that the emergency brakes were disabled and that three members of the company, identified as the owner, director and chief of operations were allegedly aware of this.
Brake failure means that the cable car was travelling at over 100km when the cable snapped.
Prosecutors are investigating a suspected involuntary homicide and negligence, reports BBC.
Local prosecutor, Olimpia Boss, said in a press conference that the brake was tampered with in a “conscious act” and added that the cable car was unsafe before Sunday’s fatal accident.
It is still unclear why the cable snapped as the cable car had major maintenance done to it between 2014 and 2016. Checks were made in 2017 and again last year by technicians, concludes Reuters.